Über die Gesellschaft Preise Publikationen Symposien Literatur Links Kontakt Anmeldeformular
English Version

Der Globusfreund 53/54 (2007, für 2005/2006)

Summaries / Resumés

 

A Special Geography for the King. Animals and human beings on the terrestrial globe made by Vincenzo Coronelli for Louis XIV (1681-1683)

Marica Milanesi

Summary
The terrestrial globe of the gigantic globe pair made by Vincenzo Coronelli for Louis XIV features a multilayered text, which could be studied from many points of view: I have examined here its “special geography”, i. e. what we would call now its geographical contents from a regional or local angle. In particular, I have chosen as subject of this paper the representation of animals and human beings living on land (anything pertaining to waters – from winds and tides to boats, fishes, sailors, sea battles, or havens – being the field not of Geography but of Hydrography). The mass of information painted and written on its surface makes the globe one of the most valuable surviving sources of information about late XVIIth century court culture, particularly in the fields of special geography and early natural history. It is my opinion that the scientific contents of the globe were much more important, in their evaluation by the public, than its symbolic meaning. This one has received by some scholars much more stress than it deserved. Personal preferences of the King are reflected in the decorative-informative system of the globe: its painted menagerie, its hunting human figures, its boats, was made to satisfy his personal curiosities, as documented by other sources. The globes were really designed for the Mirror Gallery of Versailles, as Coronelli states, and painted by the artists working at the palace. Of the original stands, planned but never realised, we have only a print by Coronelli. It shows that the globes were meant for a wide, elongated space.

Résumé
Le globe terrestre de la paire de globes géants, qui fut réalisée par Vincenzo Coronelli pour Louis XIV présente un texte complexe qui peut être étudié de divers points de vue : J’ai examiné ici la «Géographie spéciale», à savoir la manière dont nous jugerions aujourd’hui son contenu géographique d’un point de vue régional ou local. J’ai choisi pour thème de cet article la représentation des habitants, animaux et hommes, (tout ce qui a d’une manière ou d’une autre un rapport avec les eaux – en allant des vents et des marées jusqu’aux bateaux, poissons marins, batailles navales ou ports – ne fait pas partie de la géographie, mais de l’hydrographie). La quantité des informations peintes et écrites sur la boule font de ce globe l’une des sources les plus précieuses héritées de la fin du 17ème siècle en ce qui concerne la culture de la cour, en particulier sur la Géographie spéciale (connaissance des pays) et les débuts de l’histoire naturelle. Je suis d’avis que, dans l’optique du public de l’époque, l’importance scientifique du contenu était largement plus considérable que la teneur symbolique. Celle-ci a semé beaucoup plus de trouble chez quelques scientifiques qu’elle n’en valait la peine. Les domaines de prédilection personnelle du Roi se reflètent dans la décoration du globe : son mode animal peint, ses hommes qui chassent, ses bateaux ont été montrés pour satisfaire ses intérêts de prédilection, ainsi que d’autres sources en témoignent. Les globes furent créés pour la Galerie des Glaces, comme le raconte Coronelli, et réalisés par des artistes qui travaillaient dans le château. Quant aux socles de globe prévus initialement et qui ne furent toutefois jamais réalisés, nous n’en avons qu’une impression de Coronelli. Celle-ci montre que les globes étaient prévus pour un vaste espace en longueur.

 

“Incomparable’ globes or ‘old devices as cumbersome as they are useless?” the Vicissitudes of the Great Globes of Coronelli, 1683-1915

Catherine Hofmann

Summary
Presented to Louis XIV in 1683, the great globes made by Coronelli to the order of Cardinal César d’Estrées spent over 200 years in packing cases rather than on public display, and this despite the fascination that they have never ceased to exert. After their brief period at Marly (1704-1715), they were transferred to the Royal Library which was delighted by this ‘additional magnificence’. Although it was never made explicit, the symbolism of the globe as a synthesis of knowledge about the world no doubt influenced their deposit in the library. Here however, the ‘globe salon’ was not entirely finished until 1782 even though the building itself was completed in 1730. What is more, despite concerted efforts for their display, they seem to have attracted little public attention and rapidly became highly cumbersome objects for a library which, in the 19th century, was constantly in search of additional space for its reserves and reading rooms. After much hesitation they were transferred to Versailles in 1915. What are the reasons underlying these vicissitudes? The present of an ambitious courtier, and no doubt a nuisance for their recipient, objects of science but outdated even before they were mounted, remarkable art-objects, but on a colossal scale (3.90 metres diameter and 6.40 metres high) requiring a space in proportion to their size, the Coronelli globes rapidly became mere historical objects of curiosity before they acquired status as ‘precious documents for the state of geographical science at the end of the 17th century’.

Résumé
Offerts à Louis XIV en 1683, les grands globes réalisés par le Père Vincenzo Coronelli à la demande du Cardinal César d’Estrées sont restés en caisse pendant plus de 200 ans au lieu d’être exposés aux yeux du public, et ce malgré l’attrait qu’ils n’ont jamais cessé d’exercer auprès des connaisseurs. Après leur bref séjour au château de Marly (1704-1715), ils ont été transférés à la Bibliothèque royale, qui se félicita de cette «magnificence de plus». Bien que jamais explicitée, la symbolique du globe comme synthèse des savoirs sur le monde joua sans doute en faveur de leur attribution à la Bibliothèque du Roi. Celle-ci n’acheva pourtant qu’en 1782 l’aménagement du «salon des globes», quoique la construction du bâtiment lui-même fût achevée en 1730. De plus, malgré les efforts consentis pour leur présentation, ils ne semblent guère avoir attiré l’attention du public et sont vite devenus très encombrants pour une bibliothèque qui, au XIXe siècle, est sans cesse en quête de nouveaux espaces de magasins et de lecture. Après bien des hésitations, elle les fit transférer à Versailles en 1915. Quelles raisons ont sous-tendu toutes ces vicissitudes? Présents d’un courtisan ambitieux, qui embarrassèrent sans doute le prince auquel ils étaient destinés, objets de science, mais dépassés avant même d’avoir pu être montrés, objets d’art remarquables, mais de taille colossale (3,90 mètres de diamètre et 6,40 mètre de hauteur) et exigeant de ce fait un espace à leurs mesures, les globes de Coronelli devinrent trop tôt de purs objets de curiosité et d’histoire, bien avant que le statut de «précieux monuments de l’état des sciences géographiques à la fin du XVIIe siècle» ne leur soit enfin reconnu.

 

The Kogutowicz globes: some problems of national globe making in Hungary

Zsolt Török

Summary
The former army officer Emanuel (Manó) Kogutowicz (1851-1908) is considered founder of Hungarian commercial cartography. He compiled his first educational county map in 1884. He edited several school maps in Budapest with the support of the Ministry of Education. In 1890 the first national cartographic firm was founded in Hungary as a joint, Austrian-Hungarian venture. The Hölzel and Co. Hungarian Geographical Institute was transformed after 1895, and became Kogutowicz and Co. Hungarian Geographical Institute. It is remarkable, that Kogutowicz kept his business contact with the Hölzel firm. He used and adapted their school maps for his atlases in Hungarian. Kogutowicz started globe production in Hungary in 1896. In the year of the publication of his first 25.5 cm diameter globe in Budapest, another globe was published by the Hölzel firm in Vienna. A comparison of these little known globes revealed they are almost identical products. This paper investigates the problems of authorship and publisher, and compares the content of the globe gores to offer an explanation. Later Kogutowicz developed a globe program, his firm produced globes in five different sizes and in subsequent editions. The price list of the Kogutowicz firm offers an insight into the business philosophy behind commercial globe making of the early 20th century. As nationalism became substantial in social thinking, the publication of globes in Hungarian language served this ideology. On the other hand, the economical problems caused by the competition with other firms could not be solved by the patronizing state.

Résumé
Ex-officier de l’armée, Emanuel (Manó) Kogutowicz (1851-1908) est considéré comme le fondateur de la cartographie commerciale en Hongrie. Il créa sa première carte, un outil d’enseignement, en 1884. Avec le soutien du Ministère de la Culture, il fabriqua d’autres cartes scolaires à Budapest. La première entreprise cartographique fut fondée en 1890 en tant que co-entreprise austro-hongroise. Le Hölzel und Co. Ungarisches Geographische Institut a été transformé et renommé après 1895 en Kogutowicz und Co. Ungarisches Geographisches Institut. Il est intéressant de noter que Kogutowicz a maintenu ses contacts commerciaux avec la Société Hölzel. Il utilisa et adapta ses cartes scolaires pour ses atlas en langue hongroise. En l’an 1896, Kogutowicz commença la production de globes en Hongrie. La même année où il sortit son premier globe d’un diamètre de 25,5 cm, la Société Hölzel produisit à Vienne un autre globe. Une comparaison de ces deux globes peu connus montre qu’ils étaient presque identiques. Afin de trouver une explication, ce travail étudie les problèmes de la qualité d’auteur et d’éditeur et compare le contenu des bandes des globes. Ultérieurement, Kogutowicz développa un programme de globes, sa société produisit des globes de cinq tailles différentes et également dans des éditions différentes. Une liste de prix de la société Kogutowicz permet de connaître la philosophie commerciale du fabricant de globes au début du 20ème siècle. L’édition de globes en langue hongroise servait l’idéologie du nationalisme qui marquait de son empreinte la pensée sociale de cette époque. D’un autre côté, les problèmes économiques qui surgissaient en raison de la concurrence avec d’autres sociétés ne pouvaient pas être résolus par le soutien de l’Etat.

 

The Manuscript Globes of Fritz Kerner von Marilaun

Franz Wawrik

Summary
The Globe Museum of the Austrian National Library holds two manuscript globes that are of interest with respect to late 19th century history of science in Austria. These are a terrestrial globe showing the contours of main lands during the Upper Jura period (also known as “Malm”, ca. 150 million years ago), as well as a Mars globe showing the allegedly discovered canals. The maker of the two globes was the geologist and paleo-climatologist Fritz Kerner von Marilaun (1866-1944), active at the Geologische Reichsanstalt (Geologische Bundesanstalt respectively) in Vienna. The two objects originally were standard terrestrial globes (Ø 16 cm) published by the publishing house Jan Felkl. Shortly after 1890, Kerner painted the new cartographic representations over the printed gores. The map of the terrestrial globe is based on the ideas of the Bavarian geologist and paleontologist Melchior Neumayr (1845-1890) who had worked in Vienna. In his classic textbook, Erdgeschichte (1887/1890), the images of Jurassic continents are projected over those of today. According to the theory of “fixism” proposed by Neumayr and his famous colleague, Eduard Sueß, the entire area containing an earlier contiguous Mesozoic southern continent (“Gondwana”) was submerged by what today is the Indian Ocean and the southern Atlantic Ocean. This supposedly happened without any horizontal movement of land masses. Kerner’s Mars globe was based on observations by the Italian astronomer Giovanni Virginio Schiaparelli (1835-1910). Although Kerner’s cartographic image is somewhat imprecise, the formations on the surface of Mars can be identified.

Résumé
Le Musée des Globes de la Bibliothèque Nationale d’Autriche conserve deux globes manuscrits intéressants pour l’histoire des sciences autrichienne de la fin du 19ème siècle: un globe terrestre qui indique les contours des continents à l’époque du Jurassique supérieur («Malm», il y a environ 150 millions d’années), ainsi qu’un globe de Mars avec les canaux qu’on présumait avoir découverts. Le fabricant des deux objets exposés, le géologue et météorologue Fritz Kerner von Marilaun (1866-1944), était un collaborateur du Geologische Reichsanstalt et du Geologische Bundesanstalt de Vienne. En ce qui concerne ces deux objets, il s’agissait à l’origine de globes terrestres courants dans le commerce (Ø 16 cm) de la Maison d’édition Jan Felkl. Peu après 1890, Kerner a peint les nouvelles cartes-images sur les bandes imprimées. La carte-image du globe est basée sur les représentations du géologue et paléontologue bavarois, exerçant à Vienne, Melchior Neumayr (1845-1890). La représentation qui a paru dans son ouvrage de référence, Erdgeschichte (1887/1890), montre les continents de l’époque jurassique projetés sur les continents actuels. Selon la théorie du «fixisme» soutenue par Neumayr et par son collègue, le célèbre spécialiste Eduard Sueß, des submersions globales auraient fait disparaître, dans ces zones où se trouvent actuellement l’Océan Indien et l’Atlantique Sud, des régions du continent mésozoïque de l’hémisphère sud qui était auparavant contigües («Gondwana»). Cela se serait produit sans que les masses terrestres ne se soient déplacées horizontalement. Le globe de Mars de Kerner est basé sur les observations de l’astronome italien Giovanni Virginio Schiaparelli (1835-1910). Bien que la carte-image de Kerner paraisse plutôt inexacte, les formations sur la surface de Mars sont cependant identifiables.

 

Two magnificent Strasbourg globes for Count Philipp V. of Hanau-Lichtenberg

Gerhard Bott

Summary
In the Hessisches Landesmuseum in Darmstadt there are two globes, to date unnoticed, originating from the collection of decorative arts and rarities of the counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg. A celestial globe with an internal movement and an appurtenant terrestrial globe both made of brass, with gold and silver plating. The depictions on the celestial globe trace back to works of Tobias Stimmer. The stands of the globes with their lions` paws are based on Nuremberg examples. The globes bear two half-length portraits with inscriptions. On the shaft of the terrestrial globe are mounted four plaques bearing coats of arms also with inscriptions. On the celestial globe can be read that Count Philipp V. of Hanau-Lichtenberg “.... had it made …” for his son Johann Reinhard. The forming of the globes, their presentation, as well as the portraits, coats of arms and inscriptions date them to the era of Count Philipp V. (1541-1599). The plaques and the portrait of Johann Reinhardt to be seen on the terrestrial globe were added on the occasion of his marriage to Maria Elisabeth of Hohenlohe-Neuenstein in 1593. It can thus be assumed that the globes were a wedding gift. The counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg were the most distinguished of the landed gentry in the Lower Alsace, they resided in Buchsweiler (Bouxwiller). Philipp V., who was involved in the field of astronomy, presumably employed the following craftsmen for the making of the two globes: the clock- and instrument-makers Isaak I. and Josias Habrecht, who were responsible for work on the monastery clock in Strasbourg, as well as a son of Isaak I., Isaak II., instrument-maker and medical doctor as well as personal physician to Count Johann Reinhard. His much older sister married the clockmaker Hans Guthub, who came from the vicinity of Buchsweiler. His brother, Carl Guthub, was also perhaps involved in the making of the globe.

Résumé
Dans le Hessisches Landesmuseum de Darmstadt se trouvent – empruntés au Cabinet d’art et de curiosités du Comte de Hanau-Lichtenberg et ignorés jusqu’à ce jour – un globe céleste contenant un mécanisme d’horlogerie et un globe terrestre en laiton, doré et argenté. Les représentations sur le globe céleste sont reprises de gravures originales de Tobias Stimmer. Les pieds de globe avec des pattes de lion s’inspirent des modèles de Nuremberg. Les globes portent deux bustes avec des inscriptions. Le globe terrestre présente sur son socle quatre écussons avec armoiries et inscriptions. Sur le globe céleste, on peut lire que c’est le Comte Philipp V. de Hanau-Lichtenberg qui l’ «... a fait faire» pour son fils Johann Reinhard. Les formes des globes, leurs représentations ainsi que les portraits, les inscriptions et les armoiries permettent de dater les pièces de l’époque du règne du Comte Philipp V. (1541-1599). Les écussons apposés sur le globe terrestre et le portrait de Johann Reinhard ont été ajoutés à l’occasion de son mariage avec Maria Elisabeth von Hohenlohe-Neuenstein en 1593, ce qui laisse supposer que les globes étaient des cadeaux de mariage. Les comtes de Hanau-Lichtenberg étaient les seigneurs territoriaux les plus estimés de la Basse-Alsace, ils résidaient à Buchsweiler (Bouxwiller). Philipp V., qui s’est occupé d’astronomie, a vraisemblablement fait appel pour la fabrication des globes aux horlogers et fabricants d’instruments Isaak I. et Josias Habrecht qui avaient réalisé le mécanisme de l’horloge de la cathédrale de Strasbourg, un fils d’Isaaks I., Isaak II., fabricant d’instruments et médecin, était le médecin personnel du Comte Johann Reinhard. Sa sœur beaucoup plus âgée épousa l’horloger Hans Guthub, originaire des environs de Buchsweiler. Le frère de ce dernier, Carl Guthub, a peut-être participé à la construction du globe.

 

Francesco Brunacci’s celestial globe

Lino Colombo und Federico Manzini

Summary
The aristocratic Isimbardi Palace in Milan, seat of the Province Administration, preserves two rare and antique globes of considerable size (Ø 70 cm), which have basically been ignored till now: a celestial sphere made in 1676 and a terrestrial sphere dated 1688, both manufactured in Rome in Giovanni Giacomo de Rossi’s renowned workshop. The two globes were first hand-drawn and then coloured, thus they represent two absolutely unique and unequalled pieces of art. The analysis of the cartouches enabled us to find information about their authors and their editor, whilst a careful study of the scientific contents, for the time being restricted to the celestial sphere, has rewarded us with interesting discoveries. The scientific author of the celestial globe was the Roman Francesco Brunacci, an almost unknown individual, studious of philosophy and mathematics as well as Arcadian poet with the pen name of Curfino Francobracci. This globe was actually drawn by Vincenzo Mariotti, a painter and engraver that was active in Rome at that time. The terrestrial sphere was instead outlined by the Dutch Giovanni L’Huillier, one of the best engravers of geographical maps operating in the Capital, who did the work from the maps drawn by the French geographer and editor Nicolas Sanson.

Résumé
Le Palais aristocratique Isimbardi à Milan, siège du Gouvernement de la Province, conserve deux globes rares et anciens de dimension respectable (Ø 70 cm), qui étaient restés ignorés jusqu’à ce jour: un globe céleste, réalisé en 1676 et un globe terrestre, daté de 1688, tous deux fabriqués dans l’atelier réputé de Giovanni Giacomo de Rossi à Rome. La carte-image a d’abord été peinte et ensuite été colorée. C’est pourquoi les deux globes sont des chefs-d’œuvre absolument uniques et inégalés. Une analyse des cartouches nous fournit des indications sur leurs auteurs et leurs éditeurs, tandis qu’un examen minutieux du contenu scientifique – limité dans cette étude au globe céleste – nous rapporte des connaissances intéressantes. Les bases scientifiques pour le globe céleste viennent du Romain Francesco Brunacci, un homme relativement inconnu, qui s’occupait de philosophie et de mathématique et qui composa des ouvres lyriques en tant que poète arcadien sous le pseudonyme Curfino Francobracci. La carte du globe fut peinte et calligraphiée par Vincenzo Mariotti qui exerçait à Rome à cette époque. Le globe terrestre qui allait avec fut créé par le Néerlandais Giovanni L’Huillier, l’un des meilleurs calligraphes de cartes de la ville qui utilisa comme modèles des cartes du géographe et éditeur français Nicolas Sanson.

 

The Globes of the “Leibniz-Institut für Länderkunde” in Leipzig

Wolfram Dolz

Summary
The “Leibniz-Institut für Länderkunde” (Leibniz-Institute of Regional Geography) in Leipzig was affiliated in 1896 as an autonomous department to the “Museum für Völkerkunde” under the designation “Museum für vergleichende Länderkunde”. Its base stock consisted of the important collection of the traveller and private scholar Alphons Stübel. After some changes of its form of organisation today the institute is part of the “Leibniz-Gemeinschaft der Bundesrepublik Deutschland”. Its central library contains besides 50.000 map sheets also atlases from the 16th to the 20th century, as well as 13 globes, made between the 18th to the 20th century. Apart from a globe pair of the French globe maker Jean Baptiste Fortin (1780) the other items are interesting witnesses of the developing globe production in northern Germany. The oldest, designed by Friedrich Gottlieb Haan, derived from 1820. Two of the globes made the famous geographer and cartographer Heinrich Kiepert in 1892 and 1910 for the distinguished publisher Dietrich Reimer, another one Ludwig Julius Heymann (1900/1910). Furthermore are globes in stock made by the company Paul Räth, resp. his successors.

Résumé
Le «Leibniz-Institut für Länderkunde» à Leipzig a été rattaché en 1896 sous l’appellation «Museum für vergleichende Länderkunde» en tant département du Musée d’Ethnologie de Leipzig. Son embryon était constitué de l’importante collection de voyage du savant indépendant Alphons Stübel. Après de nombreuses modifications de la forme d’organisation, l’Institut appartient aujourd’hui à la «Leibniz-Gemeinschaft der Bundesrepublik Deutschland». En plus d’environ 50.000 cartes en feuille, sa bibliothèque centrale contient également des atlas de la période allant du 16ème au 19ème siècle ainsi que 13 globes réalisés entre le 18ème et le 20ème siècle. Hormis une paire de globes du fabricant de globes français Jean Baptiste Fortin (1780), tous les autres objets exposés constituent de précieux témoins de la production de globes en Allemagne du Nord qui s’est rapidement développée du début du 19ème jusqu’au 20ème siècle.
Le plus ancien d’entre eux, conçu par Friedrich Gottlieb Haan, date de l’année 1820. Deux globes ont été créés par le célèbre géographe et cartographe Heinrich Kiepert en 1892 et 1910 pour l’édition réputée Dietrich Reimer, un autre par Ludwig Julius Heymann (1900/1910). On trouve en outre des globes de la société Paul Oestergaard, mais surtout de l’édition de Paul Räth, son successeur, établie à Leipzig et à Gotha.

 

A. H. Andrews & Co.: An early globe maker in Chicago

Scott McEathron

Summary
This paper examines the history of the Chicago globe manufacturer A. H. Andrews & Co. It explores factors that contributed to the growth and successes of the business which included: the high demand for educational products at a time of rapid growth, talented and creative owners, cheap and abundant raw materials such as wood and metals, and a highly skilled workforce drawn from the large immigrant population of Chicago. Also, a summery of the types and characteristics of the various globes and mountings that were manufactured by the A. H. Andrews & Co. is made.

Résumé
L’article porte sur l’histoire du fabricant de globe A. H. Andrews & Co exerçant son activité à Chicago. Sont étudiées en particulier les circonstances qui conduisirent à l’essor de l’entreprise et à ses succès. Ce furent par exemple la forte demande en matériel d’enseignement à cette époque d’énorme croissance économique, des entrepreneurs habiles et créatifs, des matières premières bon marché et disponibles en abondance – comme le bois et le métal – ainsi qu’en raison de la forte immigration de travailleurs spécialisés suffisamment disponibles et compétents. S’y ajoute en complément un aperçu des types et des caractéristiques des différents globes et de leurs supports qui furent fabriqués par A. H. Andrews.

 

The Chicago Group: 20th Century Globe Makers in the Chicago Area

Carolyn Burrell

Summary
This paper discusses six American globe makers active in the Chicago area in the first half of the 20th century: George F. Cram, Replogle, Denoyer-Geppert, Weber Costello, Rand McNally and A. J. Nystrom. Attention is given primarily to production generally from 1900 to c. 1950. These profiles are not meant to be comprehensive, but to suggest general trends in globe production during this period. The George F. Cram Company ultimately relocated to Indianapolis, but is included here because of its long history in Chicago before. Overall production of globes by manufacturers of the “Chicago Group” during the first half of the 20th century can only be described as prodigious. However, only three companies of this group continue to manufacture globes today: Replogle and A. J. Nystrom in the Chicago area and George F. Cram, located in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Résumé
Cette conférence porte sur six fabricants de globes américains qui ont exercé dans la région de Chicago dans la première moitié du 20ème siècle : George F. Cram, Replogle, Denoyer-Geppert, Weber Costello, Rand McNally et A. J. Nystrom. Une attention particulière est accordée à la production. Les descriptions ne sont pas exhaustives mais ne reflètent que les principales tendances de cette époque. La société George F. Cram retourna finalement à Indianapolis, mais elle est cependant traitée également dans cet aperçu en raison de la longue période où elle fut établie à Chicago.
Prise dans son ensemble, la production de globes du «Groupe Chicago» peut être qualifiée d’énorme, cependant il n’en reste aujourd’hui plus que trois qui fabriquent encore des globes: Replogle et A. J Nystrom aux environs de Chicago et George F. Cram à Indianapolis.

 

Johann Moritz Egloff and his “Spherical Tellurium”

Werner Kummer

Summary
The article describes a Spherical Tellurium measuring 66 cm. It was constructed by J. M. Egloff, teacher in Solothurn (Switzerland) and produced by Société Genèvoise des Instruments de Physique (SIP). In 1878 Egloff wrote an introduction to it headed Der Unterricht in der Mathematischen Geographie am Sphärischen Tellurium.

Résumé
L’article décrit un Tellurium sphérique d’une taille de 66 cm. Il fut construit par J. M. Egloff, professeur à Solothurn et fabriqué par la Société Genevoise des Instruments de Physique (Sip). Egloff écrivit une introduction à son propos en 1878: Der Unterricht in der Mathematischen Geographie am Sphärischen Tellurium» (L’Enseignement de la Géographie Mathématique avec le Tellurium sphérique).

 

“Day-night” globes

Victor A. Winkler

Summary
“Day-night” globes depict the varying conditions of light and darkness on earth and allow reading the respective world times. The article describes some constructions of varying complexity documented by the German patent office. They range from a simple model consisting of a half-covered source of light plus an electric motor turning the globe around its axis once every 24 hours, to sophisticated mechanisms representing seasonal variations, zones of dawn and other minor phenomena.

Résumé
Les globes «jour nuit» permettent de visualiser les états de luminosité qui règnent à un moment donné sur la terre et de lire l’heure dans le monde entier. L’article présente quelques développements de complexité diverse qui ont été déposés à l’Office allemand des brevets. Cela va du modèle simple qui produit l’incidence lumineuse au moyen d’une source lumineuse à demi-obscurcie et d’un moteur électrique qui fait tourner le globe une fois en 24 heures autour de son axe, jusqu’aux exploits des ingénieurs qui tiennent compte des variations saisonnières, des états crépusculaires et autres effets secondaires.

 

Digital Processing of Antique Globes. A summary of the latest technologies

Harald Tomberger

Summary
In order to facilitate computer-assisted research on ancient globes, it is first of all necessary to have a digital recording of the objects. Depending on the objective of the research, various data-gaining methods are available in a non-destructive way. Along with close range photogrammetry and various other methods from the field of medicine, the development of 3D scanners offers the greatest potential for the digital facsimilation of antique globes.

Résumé
Une étude assistée par ordinateur des globes anciens présuppose la saisie numérique des objets. Pour cela on dispose, en fonction de l’objectif de la recherche, de procédés très divers pour l’acquisition de données par des voies non-destructives. Outre la photogrammétrie de gros plan et diverses techniques empruntées au domaine médical, c’est surtout le développement de scanners 3D qui promet un potentiel pour la réalisation de fac-similés de globes anciens.

 

Impressum | Site Map | Kontakt | Last Update: